If you use STS (Eclipse Kepler) behind a firewall it can prevent you from downloading eclipse plugins or patches. To be able to connect to Eclipse Market Place or Link to install new software you would need to tell STS about the proxy server. Proxy servers are usually the way to access outside network when in company network. There are two ways to have proxy server.
Here are the steps if you do it from STS.
- Windows -> Preferences -> General -> Network Connectivity
- In the Active Provider Drop down, select Manual.
- You can see HTTP and HTTPS schema. Click on the Edit button. You can see the following –
- Add the proxy server host name or ip address and the port number. Click OK to save. Similarly add for HTTPS also.
- Now you can try to access the Eclipse Market place and see if that works.
- In case it does not work there is another way to set the proxy server. Go to the STS installation directory and edit the STS.ini.
- Add the following entries
-Dhttp.proxyPort= port number of the proxy server
-Dhttp.proxyHost=proxy server host name
Save the file and restart the STS. You should now be able to access the eclipse marketplace through the STS.